Home » Questions and Answers » How do I know if I am working in accordance with the law?

How do I know if I am working in accordance with the law?

Home » Questions and Answers » How do I know if I am working in accordance with the law?


If my work in the Czech Republic is arranged by an employment agency, does this mean that it automatically handles all the necessary permits and authorizations for me? What will the agency arrange for me?

No. The agency can help you find a job, arrange a residence permit, work permit, health insurance, accommodation and other services, but you are responsible for this.

Do I pay my own taxes or does my employer pay them for me?

Your employer should pay your taxes for you from the day you start work. Income tax, social security contributions and health insurance contributions are deducted from your wages. If your employer deducts these payments from your wages, it is a signal that you are doing your job in accordance with the law, but you cannot rely on this. You can check what information the Czech Social Security Administration keeps on your insurance at any time via the ePortal of the Czech Social Security Administration. The sooner it can be found that the information held does not correspond to the actual situation, the sooner it can be corrected. If you suspect that your employer is not paying the health insurance premiums for you, you should inform your health insurance company. However, employees for whom their employer does not pay the correct health insurance premiums can in any case have no problem if they need medical care.

Do I have to tax the money I earn in my home country subsequently?

The Czech Republic has an agreement about avoidance of double taxation with the following countries: www.mfcr.cz. If your state is among them, your earnings are taxed only in the state that is the source of income.

How do I know that the employment agency in the Czech Republic that employs me is an illegal agency?

You can find a list of legal employment agencies HERE.

If anyone else offers you these services in the Czech Republic, it will not be a legal employment agency. The employment agency cannot charge you any fees (for job placement, deductions from wages, etc.).

If I am an employee of a company that is based in another EU member state and that pays social and health insurance for me, can I also work in the Czech Republic?

If your employer sends you to the Czech Republic to provide services, you may work in the Czech Republic without additional authorization.

Who is responsible for hiring an illegal worker, or more precisely for performing illegal work?

  1. The responsibility lies with both employers and employees. The employer may receive a fine of up to CZK 10,000,000; fines and other risks for illegal employees can be found in the section “Risks of illegal employment.

  2. If you are working illegally, you cannot absolve yourself of liability by claiming ignorance of the law.

I am a family member of an EU citizen and have been granted a temporary residence permit. What does this permit allow me to do in relation to other Schengen states?

The temporary residence permit also entitles the family member of an EU citizen to move and stay for a short period of time (for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period) in the other Schengen States.